In America, there are more weekly podcast listeners than there are Netflix subscribers. With eighty million people tuning in to podcasts every single week, if you’re not part of this scene then you could be missing out on lots of potential customers.
Starting a podcast may sound daunting, but there are WordPress plugins that can do much of the hard work for you. With the right plugin in your corner, you’ll have access to all of the features, tools, and data you need to achieve podcasting super-stardom.
In this post, we’ll discuss how podcasts can be a valuable marketing tool for your established business, or even a standalone revenue stream. We’ll then share four of the best podcast plugins for WordPress. Let’s get started!
An Introduction to Podcasts (And Why You May Want to Launch Your Own)
Over 100 million Americans listen to podcasts every single month. With these numbers growing by 20 million each year, it’s estimated that the total podcast listeners in the US will surpass 160 million by 2023. With such a huge potential audience, there’s never been a better time to launch your podcast.
If you have an established website or business, then a podcast can be an effective way to grow your traffic and strengthen your brand. You can even tap into an entirely new audience by publishing your podcasts to popular platforms such as Spotify and Google Play. This can also help you keep your existing customers engaged.
Alternatively, you may have a great idea for a standalone podcast. Even if you don’t have a business to promote, as your audience grows there may be opportunities to monetize your content. For example, you might secure a sponsorship or run advertisements on the website where you host your podcast.
The 4 Best Podcast Plugins for WordPress
The right WordPress plugin can take the complexity out of running a successful podcast. Some plugins even provide tools to help you promote your content and reach the widest possible audience. To set you on the road to podcast superstardom, here are four of the best podcast plugins.
Seriously Simple Podcasting is a user-friendly plugin that has a sleek interface, making it perfect for anyone who’s exploring the world of podcasts for the first time. After completing the simple setup process, you can use this plugin to broadcast multiple podcasts.
If you do decide to publish several shows simultaneously, each podcast will have its own RSS feed and taxonomies. This makes it easier to run all of your shows from the same WordPress website.
Seriously Simple Podcasting supports both audio and video podcasting, giving you even more flexibility. After uploading your podcasts, you can feature them anywhere on your site using shortcodes and widgets.
This plugin provides everything you need to run a successful podcast out-of-the-box. However, if you want more insight into your audience, we recommend checking out the Seriously Simple Stats add-on.
- Choose between a standard compact player and HTML5 media player
- Feature specific episodes anywhere on your site using the Podcast Episode shortcode
- Curate custom playlists using the Podcast Playlist widget
- Create playlists featuring all the episodes from a specific season, using the Podcast Series widget
- Automatically generate an RSS feed that’s compliant with Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts
- Sync with Castos podcast hosting, although Seriously Simple Podcasting is also compatible with other hosting providers
With podcasting solution Fusebox, visitors can listen to your show from any page of your site, thanks to a floating bar that appears at either the top or bottom of the web page. Fusebox also offers extensive design customization, right down to choosing the color of your audio track bar. This helps your podcast feel like a native part of your site, rather than something that’s added using a third-party plugin.
Fusebox supports all M3-based podcast feeds. If your audience wants to listen to your content offline, they have the option to download episodes directly from the Fusebox podcast player.
This tool also boasts a unique transcription feature that is delivered via the Fusebox Transcript plugin. This add-on creates a space where you can display your transcripts and also offer them for download. These transcripts can improve accessibility and boost your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) by helping search engines understand your podcast’s content. This feature is integrated with the popular Temi transcription services.
- A customizable Call To Action (CTA) button
- Multiple playback speeds
- Integration with popular email software including ConvertKit, ActiveCampaign, and Mailchimp
Pricing: Free for up to 10k monthly views. Annual subscription is available at $15.83.
Podlove Podcast Publisher has a HTML5-compatible web player with touch support. This helps you deliver a good user experience to anyone who’s trying to listen to your podcast on a smartphone or tablet.
Thanks to its custom templating system, Podlove provides access to all the code related to your podcasts. If you’re comfortable editing your site at the code level, you can craft a personalized experience for your listeners. As an open source project, you could even modify the Podlove plugin to suit your exact needs.
Podlove is a modular solution, so you can tailor the interface based on your requirements. This modular approach can also be useful if you’re collaborating with people who are unfamiliar with the WordPress platform. By hiding irrelevant or unnecessary settings, you can make it easier for the rest of your team to get to grips with this popular podcasting plugin.
- Powerful analytics
- Built-in subscription button
- A flexible template system
- Support for multiple audio formats including MP4 AAC, MP3, and Opus
- Support for various video formats scuh as MP4 H.264, WebM, and Theora
Developed by podcasters Blubrry, the PowerPress plugin adds an integrated HTML5 media player to your WordPress website. If you’re looking to launch a new podcast, then Blubrry PowerPress has a Simple Mode that will guide you through the process in three easy steps.
Perhaps the most noteworthy feature is Podcast SEO, which provides guidance on how to make your podcast more visible on iTunes and Google Play. If you’re looking to grow your audience, then Podcast SEO may prove invaluable.
- Audio and video players with embed support for sites including YouTube
- Option to publish multiple podcast feeds on a single website
- Ability to create a subscription page with the provided shortcode
- Player that can be positioned anywhere on the page
- The option to integrate with Blubrry’s hosting, which will provide access to additional features such as detailed statistics and easy uploads
Launching a successful podcast isn’t always easy, but it can be a powerful way to reach a new audience. An entertaining weekly podcast can also keep your existing customers engaged, and may even generate extra revenue via sponsorships and advertisements.
When it comes to launching and running your podcast, having the right WordPress plugin is essential. Let’s quickly recap the best podcast plugins:
- Seriously Simple Podcasting. A user-friendly plugin that’s perfect for beginners.
- Fusebox. This plugin boasts extensive customization options, and a transcript feature that can boost your Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Podlove Podcast Publisher. If you’re comfortable editing at the code level, this plugin gives you complete control over the podcasting experience.
- PowerPress. Developed by professional podcasters, PowerPress is ideal for improving your SEO and growing your audience.
Do you have any questions about choosing a podcast plugin for your WordPress site? Let us know in the comments section below!